Africa & Abandoned Theme Parks


The pictures I saw taken by Nick Brandt were absolutely stunning and they were unique. You could tell that these pictures must have been hard to capture. Brandt spent lots of time in Africa that he dedicated to taking pictures of the wildlife. He also mentioned that there were in fact threats and dangers of shooting like this and they grew more and more as time went by, but being as a dedicated photographer as he is, he pushed through. In result he produced some beautiful shots. 


This is my favorite because you truly feel the emotion of the event. The black and white of the picture also adds more death and helps to create a depressing atmosphere. 

The rules of photography I notice in the picture are simplicity and balance. Simplicity is shown by the colors of the photo and who the main subject is the darkest color and it's surroundings are a lighter shade of gray. Balance is shown because there are no distractions in the background, to take your focus of the subject. 

What kind of camera and lens does he use and why is this important?
He uses a he uses a Pentax 67II with only two fixed lenses. He doesn't use zoomed or telephoto lenses because he believes that being close to the animals makes a huge difference in his ability to reveal their personality.
What is his reason for taking these photos?
His reason is that he wants to keep the memory of these animals alive before their homes and lives are destroyed, at the fault of human kind.
What is his hope by taking these type of photos?
His hope is to show man what we have done to the wild animals of Africa and show what is happening that we don't get to see.
"Over the years, I’ve driven through countless areas where just 10 to 20 years ago there was animal life, but now has been relentlessly wiped out – sliced up and reduced to bush meat, leaving vast expanses of land devoid of any large mammals" -Nick Brandt



The amusement park I would like to visit would have to be the bonded six flags in New Orleans, Louisiana. The reason would be is because Six Flags is one of the most known and common amusement park franchises that many people are familiar with. I think that it would be cool to see how much it has changed and who different it looks compared to what it used to. The pictures taken don't make it seem as scary and creepy which I think would make me more comfortable when I take pictures. I think that there are plenty of unique photos that I could be able to capture there. 
 

Think of at least FIVE other unusual places you think would be of interest to photographers. List them.
I think the Buffalo Central Terminal, Times Square, the Hamilton Pool, Zilker Botanical Gardens, Pedernales Falls State Park, and the Driskill Hotel would all be cool places to shoot.
 
4. Use google or another search engine to research ONE of your five places and see if anyone has already started documenting that place. If you find that someone has already started - post at least one photo of their work.

I think would be fun to shot here because it is a very elegant location and has lots of class and history to it. The architecture and decorations of the Driskill are also very unique, which gives you lots of options on hat to shoot. What interests me about the Driskill is the history about it and the controversy of it being haunted. I think I can get pictures that give you a vintage vibe. I think it would also be easy to capture pictures that incorporate the photo rules

I would not need that much to go to shoot at this location. I would not have to travel far and I could use basic camera equipment, as I would on any regular shoot. I might want to use a different type of lens to help portray a mysterious affect of the location. There wouldn't have to be any laws broken and there would be no serious travel expenses that I would encounter.

Comments

Popular Posts